Ouvrir La Bouche | Food, Well-being and Adventure

GO TO OUVRIRLABOUCHE.COM FOR THE NEW WEBSITE

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Becoming Vegetarian




May 17th 2015 I announced to both friends, family and the internet that I would be going 
vegetarian for a week. Please, excuse me for this lie. May 17th I did not eat my last piece of 
meat for a week, but my last piece of meat for more than a while.

Back in 2014 I read an article about veganism and vegetarianism. The article included a 
great amount of cold facts about the two choices of living and how good a choice it was both
 for those who took this choice but also the environment. After finishing the article I felt 
carried away by the idea of how much better I could be, according to the article, towards the 
world and myself by going meat-free. I soon, however, got lots of other things into my head 
and seemed to forgot everything about the article, and then again, not really. Looking back 
on the past year, on my behaviour and the thoughts written down in my journal, it is clear as 
mud that this article has affected me. From the day I read the article I have, without 
thinking any further about it, started to follow a great amount both vegans and vegetarians 
on the social medias, I have started ordering meat-free when I go out and I have started to 
pack a meat-free lunchbox. Looking back, everything seems to have been leading towards 
May 17th 2015, and neither my family or closest friends were surprised when I told them the
 news, and some even commented that it had only been about time before I got myself 
labeled as vegetarian. 

In my week and a half of being fully and labeled vegetarian I have already experienced both 
up and downs of the vegetarianism. I have, on one hand, felt absolutely amazing with my 
choice because it has made me feel much better about myself knowing that I do mine to 
keep both my body and the world in balance. I feel more energised, openminded and even 
more creative than ever before. I have, on the other hand, had a hard time constantly being 
questioned and challenged about my choice. The choice of breaking the silent norm of eating 
meat. I have come to know, however, that the questioning and challenging does not, in the 
majority of cases, come of wanting to stop me doing what I am doing, but come of pure 
interest and curiosity of the new. 


May 17th 2015 I made a list about what I thought as cons and pros of being vegetarian, and 
the pros list turned out to overwhelmingly long compared to the list of cons, and that is why 
I today proudly say that I follow the steps of both Leonardo da Vinci, Henry Ford, Brad Pitt, 
Albert Einstein, Ozzy Osborne and the Greek philosopher Pythagoras, and officially call 
myself vegetarian. I know that I by going vegetarian can not save the world from all it 
problems, but every little helps. 

If you are in the pipeline to a vegetarian or maybe even vegan lifestyle, my best advice is to be
patient, and be understanding for those who does not understand your choice, but not,
 under any circumstances,  let them bring your choice to shame with their questions or 
challenges. You have your reasons for doing what you are doing as I have mine. Whether it is
 cultural, health, ethical, political or something else, we all have our own reasons, morals 
and beliefs. Be strong, believe in yourself, and keep going!

Emma xx

6 comments:

  1. OMG Emma love, love this!! I eat a plant based diet and I agree with you, the social part is the most difficult one especially at the beginning because a lot of people doesn't want to understand... but it's okay I respect their way of eating and they should respect mine :D Sometimes I hate being the weirdo that eats different but I just can't help being myself!!!

    Take care xx

    https://aspoonfulofnature.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I love this! I am actually a meat consumer myself but lately I have been thinking about going vegetarian as well. I don't know if I'm ready for such a big step but we'll see in the (near?) future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. I would adore to one day be vegan but I am such a bad eater and have slight health issues meaning I need certain products to get particular vitamins etc blah blah blah. Luckily I feel slightly better in saying the only meat I consume is chicken rarely and the occasionally sausage.
    It would never bother me what other people think about being vegetarian or vegan - I'm glad you are happy doing what you want to do :)

    Danielle xo
    www.underlandtowonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Velkommen i klubben, hehe! Jeg elsker det og har det så meget bedre end da jeg spiste kød:))
    Vidste ikke Brad Pitt var vegetar eller de andre for den sags skyld :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh may ghaaaad, this is amazing! It's been exactly a week since I had my last piece of ham and I don't even miss it. I'm not too confident to call myself full on vegetarian, but I managed to say no to my favourite meat dish when it was right in front of my nose.. achievement for sure! It's so much better for your body, health, environment and animals. I got questioned a lot already and luckily I have a lot of vegetarian friends that get me and support me.

    Someone told me that being vegetarian is not a real thing, it's just a trend. I just shrugged as now I know in the future I will have less chance to have a heart attack than him.

    Dude, following you fo sho! Thank you for your comment on my blog as well :)


    http://thisissimplyme.com/

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by KotrynaBassDesign