Ouvrir La Bouche | Food, Well-being and Adventure

GO TO OUVRIRLABOUCHE.COM FOR THE NEW WEBSITE

Friday, November 04, 2016

Vegan Cranberry Scones














Vegan Cranberry Scones

(serves 4-6)

I must admit that I have always been a sucker for sweet foods, and this especially when it comes to cake. Over the years I have eaten more cake than I most likely should have done, but this has also helped me broaden my horizon for what is possible when baking. Everything is really. If you put mostly everything in and you can swap easily between thing – even in the same cake. Also, you can leave something out. Diary for example. I have been trying out a lot of vegan recipes (Blueberry muffins, Banana Bread, Peanut Butter Cookies, Chocolate Cake, Pancakes… just to name a few!) and I must say, in my taste, they are a slightly better than those which contains dairy!

One of my absolutely favourite bakes are the British Cuisine’s scone. I have eaten a few too many of them, especially after I moved to the UK, but I do not seem to be able to get tired of them! So of course I had to try them out in a vegan version as well, and my conclusion is that they are JUST as good for clotted cream and jam as the non-vegan ones!
The vegan scones which I made - and so deeply enjoyed to eat - were inspired from the “normal” dried fruit scones. Instead of using raisins though, I used dried cranberries to sweeten up the “not-already-sweet-enough”-scone, but you can always make the swap back to raisins if the cranberries make the scones to sweet for you!

Enjoy your scones and cuppa!

Ingredients

  • 250 ml. non-diary milk (almond or soy milk preferred)
  • 120 ml. maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 700 g. all-purpose flour
  • 255 g. whole wheat flour
  • 1 ½ tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. kitchen salt
  • 170 g. coconut oil
  • 1 ½ handfuls of dried cranberries

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 220°C
  • Stir together lemon juice and almond milk in a small bowl 
  • Add maple syrup to the mixture and mix well before setting the bowl aside
  • In an another, larger bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt
  • Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well until it becomes a sticky dough
  • By using your hands, knead the cranberries into the dough
  • Now it time to form your scones and you can do it however you feel like. Some people like them round, some square and others like a triangle. Make 12 of your favourite form. 
  • Cover 1-2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and place your scones upon them
  • After 12-15 minutes (or until golden brown) in the oven, you will have the most amazing vegan cranberry scones!


Bon appetite!

Emma xx




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by KotrynaBassDesign